A few positive financial changes in our household have allowed me to travel more frequently. While still frugal, I have a few hacks that I have found that have really helped me to save money, time, and my sanity when it is time to fly the (not always so) friendly skies.
1. Be nice.
Yes, seriously. Being naturally easy-going, being laid back and nice is not too difficult for me. My husband is 6’8. He usually has a very uncomfortable time flying. Being frugal, we don’t want to pay to upgrade his seat. So when we travel together, I ask for a seat with more leg room for him. I greet the ticket agent with a smile, show them my husband, and explain that we don’t need to sit together. This works about 80% of the time. The other 20% of the time, they don’t have the room to accommodate this request. Unfortunately if this happens I’m not going to walk away upset.
2. Join your airlines frequent flier club.
The past few years, I’d be lucky if I found myself needed air travel at least once a year. Now that I’ve vowed to travel more often, I have joined the frequent flier club to every airline I use. I keep an open mind to airlines and although I do have a favorite, I will fly almost any airline with a good rate. I live near three major airports, which is a huge advantage when it is time to travel. I do have a preferential airport but that’s due to the proximity to my home. I’ll go to another airport if I feel that it makes my air travel less stressful (i.e. no layover) or if it really is a great deal.
3. Tweet, Facebook, Yelp, or any other type of review your POSITIVE as well as your negative experience.
We’re quick to review something when we’re pissed off but how about when you are satisfied? I enjoy writing reviews. Most of my reviews are positive. I’m usually a pretty easy person to please so it takes the moons being aligned just right, to piss me off.
Do you have any hacks you’d like to share? Comment below and don‘t forget to subscribe!