In the US the average salary of Curriculum developer is $29.29 per hour or $59,708 per year. This does not include the bonuses and profit sharing according to Payscale. Wow! This is awesome! Right?
If this is the case, this had given you a spark of interest, read on and learn more! How do they make money as a curriculum developer? How to start? Or if you are not familiar about this gig, your big questions can be: what is curriculum developer?
Curriculum developers are educational professionals who work in creating the instructional materials. These are used by teachers to ease student learning in classroom settings. They are working behind the scenes. And they use their special skills in creating effective and appropriate curriculum.
This is not a job that anyone can take are curriculum made should meet the state standards. They are responsible for determining materials that teachers should use in the class. As well as on the topics that students should learn. So, before they pilot new materials and technical information collaborations are necessary.
Read on and learn more about some tips on taking a step towards a career of a Curriculum Developer.
Tips on How to Become a Curriculum Developer
Tip# 1: Get Certified.
Be a certified curriculum developer by acquiring some requirements and skills. Like, education, related work experiences, licenses, certifications, and other required skills.
Education, it is necessary for a curriculum developer. You need to have at least a bachelor’s degree in training. As well as a development, education and instructional design.
Earning a master’s degree specializing in educational leadership, curriculum instruction is an advantage. According to the Bureau of labor statistics, most employers will need candidates to get this. Or even above to meet an online curriculum developer positions.
Tip# 2: Related Work Experience.
It is important for some curriculum developer. Most employers prefer to accept candidates with related experiences. Most especially in the training and development specialist, human resources specialist and even teachers.
To become a curriculum developer you must have this skills:
- Analytical skills. This is important in evaluating the methods, materials and even the programs. So that you can choose that best fit for each situation.
- Interpersonal skills. It is necessary for collaborating with the trainees, students, instructors, and subject-matter experts.
- Communication skills. Another essential prowess in training and development because they often give presentations. Creativity, this is essential for a curriculum developer. To be creative in developing the training materials as well as put in place new approaches. Also, being a technology savvy is useful for the execution of training methods.
Tip# 3: You may work online Curriculum developer as well.
You can work as an online curriculum developer otherwise known as an e-learning developer. This gives you the chance to work with the experts. Like to copy, write, edit and create related documents and any program materials.
Some specific online job of curriculum development responsibilities include;
- Develop distance-based materials
- Oversee and assess the projects
- Provide technical help to teachers and students
- Make and impose development-related decisions
These skills are essential when you work as an online curriculum developer. Because most instructional data is done thru electronic platform.
To become a successful curriculum developer you must have enough educational background. It must be coupled with the related work experience. Since these are both requires technical and analytical skills.
If you are have both the experience as an online and offline developer, the higher are your chances. There is a greater earning potential in the field of education. As an instructional coordinator or a curriculum developer.